Photo by Edward Weston
You will be doing a quick presentation in class. The presentation will only be a 3-5 minutes long and you will have today and two more days this quarter to work on it before it is due.
1) Pick one of the photographers below. Try to avoid doing a photographer that someone else in the class is doing.
2) Find at least 5 images by that photographer and put it into your GOOGLE SLIDE presentation. Make sure images are appropriate to show in class.
3) Research the photographer and include what you find in your presentation. Some of the questions that you will answer are:
• basic info (birth date and location, etc.)
• how did the photographer start taking photographs (schooling, etc.)
• what are the important themes/ideas in their work
• what is their style (light, dark, odd, crisp, blurry, etc.)
• what makes them important or unique in the history of photography
• what political/economic/historical factors influenced the work
4) Make sure to include your own opinions about the photographer’s work in a slide. Do you like it? What do you like about it? What does this photographer do that you would like to do in your own work?
5) BULLETED LIST EVALUATION OF ONE IMAGE
• Talk about principles and elements of design: line, shape, space, value, balance, etc.
• Talk about the quality of light in the image.
• Does the photo have a center of interest? What is it and why does it capture your interest?
• Describe the mood of the work. Why does it have that mood?
• What do you like best about the image?
Photographers to choose from:
ODD/STRANGE/COOL: diane arbus, robert frank, nan goldin, mary ellen mark, andre serrano, cindy sherman, weegee, garry winogrand, man ray, danny lyon, david hockney, lee friedlander, joel meyerowitz, mike and doug starn, eliot porter, david levinthal, sophie calle, ralph eugene meatyard, paul outerbridge, sabastiao salgado, dieter appelt, wynn bullock, philip-lorca dicorcia, gregory crewdson, joel sternfeld, larry sultan, adam fuss, francesca woodman, uta barth, james casebere, tina barney, john baldessari, elinor carucci, jan dibbets, andreas gursky, roni horn, nikki s. lee, sherrie levine, gordon matta clark, ana mendieta, duane michals, shirin neshat, catherine opie, thomas struth, lucas samaras, todd hido, lorna simpson, carrie mae weems, richard misrach, james nachtwey, rineke dijkstra, thomas demand, christian boltanski, tom baril, elliot erwitt, glenn e. friedman, karl blossfeldt, Anton Corbijn, Joan Fontcuberta, lauren greenfield, David Hilliard, barbara kruger, Abelardo Morell, Vik Muniz, Martin Parr, Edward Burtynsky, Bruce Gilden, Andy Goldsworthy, Hannah Höch, Vincent Laforet, Alec Soth, Jerry Uelsmann, William Wegman
FASHION/CELEBRITY: irving penn, richard avendon, annie leibovitz*, barbara morgan, horst p. horst, steven meisel, herb ritts, bruce weber, david lachappell, louise dahl-wolfe, mario testino, ellen von unwerth, cecil beaton, Adolph de Meyer, Patrick Demarchelier,
CLASSIC/MASTERS/HISTORICALLY IMPORTANT: margaret bourke-white, mathew brady, harry callahan, imogen cunningham, walker evans, lewis hine, andre kertesz, dorothea lange, jacob riis, charles scheeler, edward weston, edward steichen, alfred stieglitz, paul strand, james van der zee, minor white, alexander rodchenko, manuel alverez bravo, felice beato, bill brandt, julia margaret cameron, henri cartier bresson, tina modotti, lisette model, leni riefenstahl, w. eugene smith, werner bischof, robert doisneau, alfred eisenstaedt, brassai, berenice abbott, eddie adams, nadar, hippolyte bayard, alvin langdon coburn, robert capa, f. holland day, Gertrude Käsebier, gustave le gray, Eadweard Muybridge, Hans Namuth, Oscar Gustave Rejlander, aaron siskind, w. eugene smith, Fox Talbot
MY FAVORITES: hiroshi sugimoto, jacques-henri lartigue, jill greenberg, tokihiro sato, loretta lux, catherine chalmers
What I will be looking for:
• presentation contains all the required items/information
• powerpoint is neat with clear text and large images
• evaluation is thoughtful and detailed
• information in the presentation is well organized
• spelling and grammar of text is accurate
• presentation shows understanding of concepts or topics being depicted in the images final result represents your full potential.
• The oral presentation must be well organized and rehearsed. You do NOT read off the screen, but rather paraphrase what is on it while looking at the audience. You speak loudly and clearly. You may add additional information.