Current Photo 1 Assignments
THIS CLASS CONTENT HAS BEEN MOVED TO GOOGLE CLASSROOM, but free to any teachers who want it, curriculum documents can be found below.
SOME CONTENT IS HERE AS PDFS AND A ZIP FILE OF ALL MY PRESENTATIONS:
PHOTO 1 CURRICULUM – EPP
photo 1 Study Guide with Videos
Epp Photo 1 Course Packet
and the dropbox link to all the files:Â https://www.dropbox.com/s/g74ezm5kit6tcln/photo%201%20slides%20and%20materials.zip?dl=0
Photo 1 has shooting assignments due just about EVERY OTHER WEEK.Â
OLD CURRICULUM CONTENT BELOW
Unit 1 – intro
- DISCUSS: Is photography art? How is it similar to and different from other kinds of art (painting, sculpture, etc).
- VIDEO: some peoples opinions about photography and art. watch and thenÂ DISCUSS
- TAKE NOTES: How do photographers see the world?
- ACTIVITY:Â snapshot vs fine art examplesÂ Â Â snaps vs art venn
- ASSIGNMENT – Think about what it means for a photo to be “good”. Then take 2 good photos of ANYTHING using a digital camera. Bring in the memory card on the due date.
- DISCUSS: why are some photographs better than others?
- ACTIVITY: Get on computers and go to explore photos on this siteÂ Find several photographs that you think are good. Think about what makes them good. Find several photographs that you don’t think are good. Think about what is in the photo that you donâ€™t like.
- VIDEO: What is photography?
- ACTIVITY: make a magazine collage with one background image and 4 elements from other photos
- TAKE NOTES:Â photoshop intro sheet
- DIGITAL SKILL: Â Look at examples. Then create a photoshop collage using either a cat or a dog. Make sure to use at least 5 different source photos, and be creative. This is an assignment for practicing how to use the selecting tools, the transform tools, and cutting and pasting. Make sure you chose the selection tool that is right for the job. Sometimes combining selection tools can be the best solution. Make sure the edges are nice and neat. The goal is to NOT be aware that it has been photoshopped. Taking the time to make sure it is neat and done well makes a big difference in the quality of the image.
- VIEW: 9/11 images DISCUSS: Are these photos important? In what way are they or why aren’t they?
- VIDEO: Am. Photo
- DISCUSS:Â What choices must a photographerÂ make before beginning a work?
- TAKE NOTES:Â what are the 5 active choices that photographers make with their cameras?
- ACTIVITY:Â analyze choices Â Â choices worksheetÂ inside the frame
- TAKE NOTES:Â more choices
- VIDEO: leading and reframing
- DISCUSS:Â What skills and vocabulary do I need to appreciate visual art?
- in class critique: learning to look
- TAKE NOTES:
- how drives work
- what drive we use for class
- how to get to different drives
- how to use card reader
- using Adobe Bridge to import photos
- how to use Bridge to view and work with photos
- how to turn in your photos
Unit 2 – shadows and light
Unit 3 – composition (principles and elements of art and design)
- ASSIGNMENT:Â photo assign: 6 photos – line, shape, texture, pos/neg space, repetition, contrast
- REMINDER:Â rubric
- ACTIVITY: find examplesÂ of each of the P&E of the assignment, and put them in a google doc. makeÂ sure to label them.
- ACTIVITY: play photo dice game and take photos in class
- DISCUSS:Â What inspires me?
- TAKE NOTES: photography has styles/periods/movements and STRAIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY is one of them. Paul Strand was one of those photographers.
- in class critique
- DIGITAL SKILL:Â dreamscape (layers)Â create a memory/dream/nightmare using at least: 5 sources, 1 adjustment layer with a clipping mask, 1 filter, and 1 layer style
Unit 4 – camera controls
- ASSIGNMENT:Â photo assign– 4 photos: shallow DOF, greater DOF, blurred motion, frozen motion
- VIEW:Â special rubric
- REVIEW SHUTTER SPEED AND APERTUREÂ : get in groups of 2 and pick from the following :infogram ,Â jeopardy, or write and act out a skit. Make sure to include the definitions/explanations of both shutter speed and aperture, the 4 visual effects, and cheater/real settings to get those effects.
- DIGITAL SKILL:Â fixing tools
- DIGITAL SKILL:Â blend animals (fixing) plus fruit-animal hybrid or fruit hybrid
(find two animals facing the same way, duplicate background of one and remove head, paste other head and body parts on and layer mask out
area that you don’t need, might want to use lower opacity brush, then create new empty layer for cloning low opacity using “all layers’) Hybrid Animal Instructions Note Sheet
- NON DIGITAL SKILL:Â table time: altered by hand
- DEMO: size & crop demo
Unit 5 – portraits
Unit 6 – aesthetics
UnitÂ 7 – diptych or sequenceÂ
UnitÂ 8 – colorÂ
- ASSIGNMENT:Â photo assign– 3 photos: monochromatic, analogous, complementary
- DON’T FORGET:Â rubric
- DIGITAL SKILL:Â color correction activity
- VIDEO: colors of the yearÂ VIEW: pantone explanation,Â ben moore,Â Â ACTIVITY: play bendokuÂ and take color test
- ACTIVITY: make a mood board full of things that are big and important or trending in teenagers lives right now, and then predict what a “teen color of next year” would be. (new photoshop file that isÂ Â 2000×3000 pixelsÂ @ 72 dp, at least 30 sources images, and include box with 2017 teen color of the year. then save it in the TEEN COLOR folder)
- DIGITAL SKILL:Â creative color wheel (show 3 primary and 3 secondary, color the objects yourself, use at least 3 source photos, make it interesting)
- ACTIVITY: do a web quest and fill out theÂ photo historyÂ worksheet thenÂ history of photo lecture
- TEST: color quiz
- DIGITAL SKILL:Â PHOTOSHOP QUIZ
UnitÂ 9 – conceptual
- ASSIGNMENT: pick 2 sound words, turn in 2 photos:Â snap, crackle, pop, whistle, rustle, swoosh, bass, crescendo, resonance, boom, echo, screech, rattle, thud, scream, click, shout, whistle, twack, shhhh, shush, tsk tsk, squeak, creak, symphony, boing, chime, ring, silence, tap, knock, hissÂ
- Instructions: do NOT photograph something making that sounds, rather think about the sound, figure out how the noise would LOOK, and photography something that looks how the sounds feels.
- VIDEO: MOMAÂ handoutÂ and video
- DIGITAL SKILL: add tattoosÂ and instructions (use warp tool)
- DIGITAL SKILL: social issue / meaning 1 2 3 4
- DISCUSSION:how can images help with social issues?
- in class critique
- QUIZ 2
Unit 10 – commercial
UnitÂ 11 – you the artist